Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Some Lunch Ideas . . .

My daughters both attend public school this year, and while there are some nice choices on the menu, we do prefer to do mostly organic foods. We let the girls buy their lunch once each week, but usually they opt for a home-packed lunch instead because the lunch line can be long and they feel they don't have much time to eat after getting their food. And, (**gasp!**) they usually like what I send better, simple as it often is . . .

Every once in a while I'll pass on a few ideas for lunch box lunches. I find that kids like to have something to "do" to their lunch, such as add dressing to a salad, then toss it. I enclose packets of soy sauce, salt or pepper, ketchup--depends on the lunch but lets them customize it.

I find a flat tray works well, and I like to offer tidbits of several things. I'll demonstrate more of that in another post. The flat tray lays in the bottom of their lunch box, then I put a flat ice pack on top to keep things cold. I put rubber bands around little tubs of dressing and the like, as they often come apart and spill all over lunch before the kids get to eat it!

~Leslie

organic romaine lettuce, grilled organic chicken breast, organic apple, 4 oz 100% juice box, salad dressing: homemade lemony Ceasar dressing

deli turkey and ham, cheddar cheese slices, carrot/celery/cucumber sticks with a little tub of homemade ranch dressing, water crackers, organic strawberries, water to drink