Sunday, April 12, 2009

On Callahan's. . .


It's fun to have official farm business that takes you to a place like Callahan's, but even if you don't need something like laying hens and a fly mask for your horse, PLEASE stop here! Pick your friends and family up from the airport, head north on old 183, and a couple miles from the airport you will transport them into a true taste 'o Texas.

I first went to Callahan's sometime in the mid 90s, back when I lived in central Austin and the former location in Cedar Park seemed out in the "boonies". I wandered in with my friends Crystal and Mary, both WV transplants like me. You see, we were on a mission to buy Mary's then boyfriend some new Wranglers for his birthday. He was from Texas, and really was a cowboy or something close. He looked like a living "Woody" from Toy Story. He was a hard fit--we were seriously looking for Wranglers in size 26x38 or so. It was an official mission, and Mary could count on me . . .

My eyes could not believe the inside of the store back in 199_--real cowboys and real "stuff" that cowboys and farmers used. Cast iron skillets as big as the hood of my Honda Civic, saddles, cow inoculations, and kitschy items for the folks back home. I was in heaven.

Yesterday, Jesse and I stopped with our coop and the kids to pick up laying hens. I thought I'd share some of the other items that makes a trip to Callahan's a treat.
~Leslie