Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Morning Commute

I am thankful for my mere seven minute commute to work. I leave my suburban neighborhood, pass Home Depot, Whataburger, HEB, Bank of America, then make a left at the light and burst into the countryside. In the spring and summer, the sky is beautiful as I arrive at the farm. In the fall and winter, it's still pretty dark. Since public school resumed in August, I judge my tardiness by where I pass my daughters' principal on the road. She is headed to the girls' school adjacent to our neighborhood, and must live near our farm school. We're opposites. She's early for work no matter where I meet her, and I am usually late! I call it the "Adcock Clock" in her honor.

I have added another clock to my morning self-evaluation--the "Reindeer Clock". Each morning for the last several weeks, if I am on time, I meet a cherubic lady in a mini-van at the light just before my big left turn. She has antlers on her van. While we sit side by side in turn lanes, I hope she doesn't notice me reading my email or checking facebook on my iphone while we wait for green. She looks too responsible, and I feel guilty. Thank God I don't have our school signs on my van anymore! When the light turns green, we zip along together like synchronized swimmers down the four lane for about a mile before she turns right.

Do I want antlers on my van? I had a Jack Ball once and I felt like a joke. Maybe my kids would like it, but to be honest, they'd probably end up embarrassed when the antlers were still on our van on the Fourth of July.

Anyway, I knew I wanted to capture a picture of super-mom's antlers for you, so yesterday I slyly held my iphone out from my right ear. I was sure I looked like I was talking hands-free, and I snapped a picture, JUST AS SHE TURNED TO ME AND SMILED. What a doofus--"how will I face her tomorrow?", I thought. Sadly, the picture didn't even turn out. Today I was so late I missed antler girl, but I wonder how she'll look at me tomorrow?

~Leslie

The commuting deer van has antlers like these!