Monday, December 14, 2009

Framing Artwork

I am not an artist--I can't paint, draw, sew, or do much of anything crafty. I want to, but I have never dedicated the time to learning, and when I do have extra time, I usually want to get out and see something new or read a good book.

This year, each of our children was given the birthday gift of a room makeover! They got to choose a new paint color for their walls, a new comforter, and some decorations including artwork. My daughter Olivia chose horses, so my mom found a great book of horse paintings at Goodwill, and she cut up the book and framed some great pictures for Olivia. Iris just had her birthday, and she chose to decorate with fairies. We started with a great calendar ($14,Barnes and Noble) and some frames from IKEA ($2/each). By the time Iris and I were done, we had six great pictures for her room for about $36. You'll see some of my other projects (I am a repeat offender). I framed Georgia O'Keefe postcards for a bathroom after visiting Santa Fe, and the pictures with red matting are some cards by a Virginia artist that I liked when we lived there. Note--avoid matting non-standard sized pictures--it's costly!

~Leslie