Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What should a 37 year old mother of 3 wear on her feet? The answer alludes me . . .

I have needed new shoes for a couple of months now. My daughters received their two requisite pairs of shoes to start the school year in August, and a couple of weeks ago they needed fashionable winter boots or they were going to die. My husband just purchased two pairs of shoes for my son (which we have to return because he has decided he will never wear them). He finally outgrew a couple of great pairs of hand-me-downs. Since I last purchased shoes, my husband has had two new pairs of tennis shoes and an expensive pair of work boots. I begrudge no one their podiatrical loot. But, I NEED SHOES. My tennis shoes are about four years old and out of date. I can't wear flip flops any more due to the cold and animal poop at the farm, and a pair of Target canvas hybrid ballet flats are just not me anymore, and they are worn out, too. Crocs--someone left a pair at school and I cabbaged them, but I am tired of looking like my feet belong to a clown.

I have done this to myself--placed myself at the end of the budget for too long. Admittedly, shoe shopping isn't as fun as it used to be . . .who knew that your feet would grow a half size with each child you bear? That, my friends, is in no girlfriend's guide to anything. The thought of wearing heels on a daily basis is not only laughably impractical in my chosen field, but also sounds just miserable. So, what are the cool moms out there wearing? I have walked in and out of stores for over a month. This quest for shoes has taken on a ridiculousness. Who am I? What do I want my feet to say to the world? Am I prepared for the maintenance of suede?

These are some shoes that caught my eye(s) this weekend--some made me want to gouge those eyes out. None of them are for "day to day" me . . . I should probably be wearing the shoes in the last two pictures (slip on tennis shoes and faux fleece lined Crocs), or maybe the smart black flats with just the suggestion of a heel. Buying Jessica Simpson boots in Texas seems like blasphemy. The search continues, wish me luck. Oh, and I won't stare at your feet, I promise.

~Leslie