Thursday, September 30, 2010

Homemade Deodorant!

Eliminating deodorant/antiperspirant from my life has been a long-time goal. Stinking has not been a goal, and so it has only been recently that the planets have aligned for the good of my pits (and my entire system, I believe).

My mom recently made deodorant using the recipe that follows, and after several weeks, I am amazed and delighted by its effectiveness. I smell better than ever, I am happy to report.

Here's the recipe my mom used:

5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
a couple of drops of lavender

Combine equal portions of baking soda & cornstarch. Then, slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains the consistency you desire. You can place it in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.

If you experience irritation/redness when you apply it after shaving, add a little more coconut oil to the mix to reduce the % of baking soda. (But you need to have baking soda in it, because that's what kills the stink.)

I have noticed that if I have an especially sweaty day, and a short-sleeved shirt seam that rubs under my armpit, I can get a rash. Otherwise, I am A-OK. My mom added some more cornstarch to the second batch she made, and put it in an old roll-up deodorant container, which I keep in the refrigerator. If left unrefrigerated, the consistency is that of a loose salve that you have to shake to mix each time. If refrigerated, the consistency is that of a very firm stick deodorant.

In summary, I am happy to report that:
1. I and my clothes don't stink
2. I am not stifling my sweat response at the location of important lymph nodes
3. I am not subjecting myself to a dangerous daily dose of aluminum
4. I am using a product that has familiar, economical ingredients

~Leslie

Janie's review:
I really like it! I am a little sweaty. I don't notice that I have anything on--it goes on smooth.

Here is a similar recipe with a video showing how to make the deodorant:

Here a few links to get you thinking about whether or not to use commerical deodorants and antiperspirants:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/01/28/deodorant-cancer.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/16/aluminum-lurks-in-crystal-deodorants.aspx