Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bamboo Toast Tongs . . . A Step Toward Independence

My girls are 6 and 9 1/2. They are rightfully asking to take on cooking tasks in the kitchen. My husband and I aren't ready for burners alone just yet, but the girls are great at stirring things while we are present. How can we show our confidence in them without stressing ourselves out completely? Well . . . I am proud to announce that much to their parents' delight, my girls can make coffee virtually unassisted. There were a few strong pots, but now things are just right, and they DELIVER!!

A second successful independent cooking venture at our house has been using the toaster (after an incredibly stern and scary lecture about nothing going into the toaster but these wood tongs and with the toaster positioned far away from our sink, Dad). Now the world of waffles, toast, English muffins and bagels is theirs when they need a snack, or when we haven't started breakfast yet and they are ready for a little something. Oh, an I do use them when I am taking bagels out of the toaster. Can anyone explain to me why the smooth skin of a toasted bagel is hotter than molten lava?

At school, we use these tongs for fine motor activities like transferring cotton balls from one bowl to another. My son managed to snap a pair apart recently, and they shouldn't be placed in the dishwasher. We keep our tongs in a kitchen drawer under the toaster so they are handy for little hands.

These tongs were found at Central Market for $1.99. I have purchase several other pairs at Crate and Barrrel for about $3/each. Happy toasting!

Leslie